20 Thanksgiving Writing Prompts
Use these 20 Thanksgiving writing prompts all November long! These prompts will get kids thinking about being thankful, the first Thanksgiving, and family traditions. There are a few silly prompts thrown in there as well. Grades K-5 can use these prompts, and they can always be tweaked for various skill levels. Try using one prompt a day leading up to Thanksgiving!
Thanksgiving Writing Prompts:
1. What is the best thing about Thanksgiving?
2. Make a list of 20 things you are thankful for.
3. Describe Thanksgiving with your five senses.
4. What was the first Thanksgiving like?
5. Would you rather be an Indian or Pilgrim? Why?
6. How was the first Thanksgiving different than today’s Thanksgiving? How was it the same?
7. What are your Thanksgiving family traditions? Which one is your favorite?
8. What is something you are thankful for this year, that is different than last year?
9. Make a list of foods you are thankful to have on Thanksgiving.
10. Describe the steps to make a pie. What kind would you make?
11. Write a letter to a family member and share what you are thankful for.
12. Make a list of things that remind you of Thanksgiving.
13. What does being thankful mean to you?
14. When should we say “thank you”?
15. How would you catch a turkey?
16. Describe Thanksgiving from a turkey’s point of view. Also try it from the point of view of the gravy, the table, the pie, or the oven!
17. Write an acrostic poem using the word Thanksgiving.
18. What will be different this year on Thanksgiving? What will be the same?
19. If you had a pet turkey, where would you keep it? How would you take care of it?
20. Describe your perfect Thanksgiving day.
—> For more fall writing prompts, check out this post!